Saturday, April 5, 2025

Mercedes is getting ready to kill off the electric car after just 3 years

The EQ series never became the success for Mercedes that the Germans had hoped for. Over time, the name and at least one of the models disappear.

Mercedes has already made it clear that it will phase out the use of the EQ name for its electric cars. And now the German-Swedish director Ola Källenius makes it clear that the EQS model will disappear completely.

At least the name works. Instead, Mercedes falls back to the top model designation, the brand has had a market stronghold since 1972.

Källenius says so in an interview with Auto Car .

Specifically, Mercedes is getting ready to follow two tracks when it comes to the S-Class. The model is split up so that customers have the choice between combustion engines and electric motors.

READ ALSO: Magnussen receives the toughest penalty in Formula 1 – Haas does not help

– In the future, there will be two S-Classes, one with a combustion engine and one with an electric engine, says Källenius to the media.

The news comes only shortly after Mercedes dropped its entire chrome-plated plan to only build electric cars in 2030. The brand is not growing at all at the pace the Germans thought just a few years ago.

At the same time, Ola Källenius has reportedly stopped the development of not just one but several new electric cars. Some of the money – we are talking about billions of kroner – from that development, the Mercedes people will and must now use to develop 'highly efficient internal combustion engines with hybrid technology'. Read more about it here .

However, the electric S-Class is not going to compete with a combustion engine for the time being. The plan is that Mercedes, with at least one significant facelift in 2027, will keep the current S-Class alive until 2030.

As early as next year, EQS will also receive a major update with an 800-volt architecture which, among other things, The Porsche Taycan is known for. But the name EQS disappears just as quietly.

The fact that the S-Class continues, however, is not due to any resounding sales success. Because while dealers in particular complain that it is difficult to sell electric Mercedes models in general, interest in the S-Class has also decreased.

Globally, the top model lost 37 percent of its sales in the first quarter of 2024. As a consequence, the factory, where both the S-Class and EQS are built side-by-side, has now gone down to just one shift.

That EQS flops is not the only defeat for Mercedes in recent years, however. The brand also had to admit that it was not a good idea to build a pickup truck.

The X-Class, which is basically a Nissan Navara with a different logo in the hood, was discontinued after a production run of just two years.

Read more exciting news from and about the world of cars right here

Latest

Don't miss

Confirmed: Richard Hammond gets new car program

The former Top Gear and Grand Tour host is...

Disappeared in Denmark – now they have lost 6 billion

Nio, which last year fired its Danish CEO and...

Car brand is tired of EU politicians: You do nothing!

At the British car brand Ineos, they are thoroughly...

Vandalism against Tesla pushes insurance prices up

Political unrest and growing anger against Elon Musk are...

Female race choir member fired after one race

Officially, it is stated that German Sophia Floersch and...
Boosted Magazine
Boosted Magazine
Boosted in Denmark has over a million unique users, surpassing two million sessions, and accumulating over seven million page views each month, and our platforms has become a hub for automotive enthusiasts. Now you can enjoy our content in English too! Enjoy our free car news - every day. Want to talk to us? Write an email to boosted@boostedmagazine.com
spot_img

Controversial repair shop chain loses 12 million

Skorstensgaard, which has been in the media spotlight for suspicious business practices on several occasions, has been in deficit for the fourth year in...

The battery in every fourth Danish car is too bad

New figures from the company Carly show that every fourth Danish car is driving around with a battery that is in poor or even...

He bought the world's last Golf GTI with a manual transmission

Cars with manual transmissions are, in the eyes of many, a dying breed. And now Volkswagen has built the latest Golf GTI. The last...

VW's BMW with W10 engine has received license plates

A few years ago, we wrote here at Boosted about Volkswagen's secret W10 project with a BMW E39 M5. Now the car has been...

Tax Minister on new rules for car taxes – this is how it will be

New rules need to be put on the table. At least when it comes to car dealers' tax settlements with the state, says Tax...

Important Tesla number is the worst in 3 years

Analysts had expected Tesla to deliver at least 370,000 cars in the first quarter of 2025. That is far from the case, the car...

Won Porsche and 340,000 DKK – now the car is completely damaged

The joy only lasted a few months for a man from Nevada, USA, who won a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and $50,000. Now the...

Motoring scandal costs Ulrik Linnemann European Championship points – and money!

Ulrik Linnemann lost both important points and money in Portugal – now he is fighting to save the season . A burnt engine proved...

The hyped electric car has lost over 50 percent of its value

Rimac Nevera has set several world records. And all at once. But the owners are now suffering huge losses in value. The owners of...

31 percent of Danes will never buy a Tesla

Just a few months ago, 8 percent of Danes said they would not buy a Tesla, that number has now grown to 31.8 percent....

Volkswagen panics – stops immediately

Volkswagen is immediately halting the delivery of all cars for import into the United States. This comes after the government's new tariff wall takes...

124-year-old auto giant lays off every sixth employee

German Webasto, which makes its living by making heaters for cars, is now set to embark on a major round of layoffs. Reportedly, this...